Making Time For Family And Friends
About The Video.
Arron Afflalo: A Day in the Life.
A documentary short produced by Athlete Interactive. Professional basketball player Arron Afflalo spends a summers day in Los Angeles and introduces us to some of the influences in his life.
I was especially interested in the family-tree segment (12.20). Having attended several family reunions in the US it was great to see the importance of family in the life of this professional athlete.
- Maintain balance in all things: Countless studies suggest that a persons self-esteem, behaviour and sense of belonging all come from strong family ties. I maintain that strong family ties come from the time families spend with each-other. I understand that song lyrics are contrived and sentimental but a few songs (for me) describe difficult subjects very well - take a look at the words to 'Cats In The Cradle' by Harry Chapin.
- Stay centred and focus on things you can control: You control what you do with your time. There is a joke in my family that the only way I could have spent more time with my children is if I had actually gone to school with them.
- Accept life is a journey: All journeys come to an end. I have known many people who never lived long enough to make up all the time they lost with their families. Work, drinking, gambling, narcotics and the company of others can be seductive but the pursuit of these must come second to our family.
- Become aware: Take time to understand the needs of your family and friends.
- Value your work and prioritise your career: Your career is your brand and legacy. Nurture it and it will support your future endeavours.
- Be sceptical, there are personal and professional tricksters: Choose your friends wisely. The friends I refer to here are people of worth who put loyalty high up on their list of values. People with poor character can be parasitic and have a habit of attaching themselves to people of worth. Like all parasites, such people eventually extinguish the host.
- Recognise the power of love: Its easy to think of family as just the children but keep in mind that everyone we love; need to feel important, need our help and guidance, need to feel that they have a voice and that we value what they have to say. Just making the decision to spend time with someone allows these valuable bonds to form.
- BE HAPPY: Whatever you decide make sure they are your decisions - you will have to live with them.
If you need help with this, email me today.
The Secrets of Family Dinner.
My Greatest Influence.
How Can We Help?
As a member of 469BCe.com, you will have, one-to-one help in making time for your family and friends.
No-matter what the circumstances I or one of my group of advisors will be able to offer concrete advice and 'hands-on' help.
I realise, as I write, that I may be giving the impression that I got all of this right. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just like every other person in the world I have made my share of mistakes. The only thing that sustains me is the fact that I was always aware that my immediate family comes first. My decisions may have cost me a lot of money but when I hear so many people talk about ‘lost time’ with their families I realise I’d rather have the memories than the cash.